Our lease is up at the end of June. So now comes the great dilemma that we all face at one time or another, until we reach the echelon of home ownership. To re-sign a new lease for no shorter than 1 year, or to scour the Internet and newspapers in search of newer shinier “digs”. Since we now know that we will be staying here on Maui for a bit (until we can be rid of the WC folk) , there are reasons to stay where we are . However, there are also a few reasons which might force our hand.

We absolutely love the house we are in at this time. Most (if not all) of the reasons that would have us move are external ones. We have been at the same place for two years now. When the property manager showed it to us we knew we would take it before even stepping out of the car. The best thing about it is that it’s at the end of a dead end street, and sits on about 1.5 acres, loaded with Plumeria trees. Lola loves to have running space and can play ball or frisbee for hours at a time.

One of the reasons we may be forced to leave it however is we think our next door neighbor has begun to sell drugs. We see cars at all hours of the night but mostly they come between 2A.M.and 5 A.M.. They turn off their lights as they pull  into our driveway. On a couple of occasions we have seen/heard people hanging out behind our house, or seen them down at the end of our yard congregating around our huge Monkey Pod tree.  Patrick has called the police twice but both times the people were gone before the police showed up. The “investigation” kinda stopped after they found no evidence of people being there( however, the evidence was that Patrick and I saw them there).

The other reason we may leave is, it is just to hard to upkeep. The house itself is rather small, but Paia is notorious for being a dust bowl. After all, when the cane is all burnt the cane fields are all just big dirt plots. Last month we decided to bomb for bugs. After the requistite 4 hours wait time we went back in, washed all the dishes, scrubbed all the counters and floors and vacuumed the carpet in the bedroom . The very next day there was a huge dust storm, due to the cane trucks, and we had to clean the whole house from top to bottom again. So. not. fun. It was so dusty that all of Lola’s white spots looked a bit like rust. Plus, all that dust can not be good for Patrick’s asthma.

One reason for staying put, however, is that it isn’t easy to find a place that is worth living in that will accept pets here on Maui. Trust me we have looked. Most of the places that do accept dogs do it because there is no way that the dog could damage the properties anymore than they already are. The other reason to stay is that Patrick feels he would not be much help in the whole moving process. Which is true, but he is more of a ” moving supervisor” than a mover, even in the best of times.

So stay tuned for more news as things develop (unless I have already bored you enough). The consensus so far is that we stay put, unless we can find a place that actually has a fenced in yard that allows pets and is liveable. Patrick wants to move closer to where I work to lessen my commute but that is not as important as getting Lola a fenced in romping area. We shall see what we shall see. I do know this much, if we do end up going, a moving company and “Merry Maids” will be under our employ, at least for a day.