Or in this case before we get a break. Patrick is on Oahu today for his follow-up. Today he is not leaving with out answers (or so he says). He has checked in a couple of times and had some good news and some not so good news. The good news is he should most likely only have to go back one more time for his neck. The Dr. took an x-ray and apparently everything is healing well. His headache has subsided and now he only has pain in his shoulder and upper arm. The bad news is the Dr. thinks he is most likely going to have to have 2 more surgeries. One for the torn tendon and the other for his rotor cuff injury.  

Depending on the orthopedic surgeon he goes to they could “most likely” be taken care of in one surgery. So I guess that could be construed as good news if one is desperately searching for good news, which, I guess, we are. It is kinda frustrating, to be honest. As much as I like living here on Maui (and trust me I do), the isolation is starting to really bug me. Now that Patrick is looking at 1, maybe 2, more surgeries does not bode well for us moving anytime soon. The way WC works he has to go through physical therapy for each injury and then get assessed by an IME ( Independant Medical Examiner), before he will be released. Being released after an IME can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks.Please do not get me wrong. I am not complaining about being here. However, once I get an idea in my head I can be pretty impatient until it comes to fruition.  Also we are not sure about one other thing , if after all the assessments he gets to have Occupational rehab (meaning WC will pay for him to go to school to learn a new trade) do we have to do that here as well ? If so then the moving gets pushed even further  onto the back burner. Of course I want to do what is best for Patrick , and I understand that he is not at fault for any of the waiting. I guess the fact that I am beginning to really dislike my job might have something to do with my apprehensions. So we are stuck in this sort of limbo. I could change my job, but then what if Patrick is fully released in the next year? At my age, working at a new job for less than a year does not look good on a resume. So I guess I should just man-up and stay at the job I have been at for the last (almost) 3 years.

News on my front is pretty much in a holding pattern as well. Thanks to XS Vicodin my back doesn’t hurt (much) but I am still having the procedure on the 19th ( Yes Doug, I am going to ask about some of the things you mentioned as well). And so we are trying to move forward, but feels like we are not moving in any direction at all. Oh….and speaking of moving we decided not to. Too much other crapola to deal with right now and with Patrick’s arm and shoulder and my back neither one of us in in a position to move anyway. So, it looks like the Ol’ Homestead will be the Ol Homestead,at least for the time being. I need a vacation ….oh yeah just one more day til my 5 days off  WOOT WOOT !!!!!

Advertisements